Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Happenings in Vancouver

Let me just start out saying that sickness really sucks! It really puts you behind on EVERYTHING! I feel like I just caught up from everything. I was sick for about the whole month of September. It started with a fever and sore throat so we thought it was strep, but the fever wasn't going away. I passed out one morning and I was dizzy every time I stood up. I didn't have an appetite AT ALL! Well still had the fever about 2 weeks into it and I went to the doctor finally (Treven and I don't have health insurance right now :/) They did the test for strep and it was negative, but I had a 102.9 temperature still. They said it seemed like just the flu and to let it run the course. But they wanted me to call after the weekend if I still had a temperature. That was the weekend of the half marathon that I had been training for, but I got a stress fracture 5 weeks before and then the sickness so no way was I going to run it. I went with the family to cheer them on and I was definitely glad I didn't do it because walking fast from the race to the hotel about killed my lungs. After the weekend, I felt horrible! I still had the fever so I called the doctor. They gave me medicine for a respiratory infection and it cleared everything up within a week or so. It took the fever away within a day! It was wonderful! Then I started to get an allergic reaction on my skin from something. It was like hives but everywhere! It was on my feet, legs, and arms for the most part. The doctor thought it was caused from the medicine still being in my system since it stays in your system for 10 days so yeah after that time was up, the reaction went away! So that was my life in September. It was definitely a blessing that Treven was home to take care of the girls and I. He was amazing in everything he did.
Speaking of being amazing, Treven got a job at Dick's Sporting Goods in the Operations area. My brother, Brent, helped out a lot and pulled some strings to get Treven a job there! He started yesterday and so far, loves it. It isn't a full time job, but it is close to a full time job. He will be getting around 30-35 hrs a week. This is store has been the only Dick's Sporting Goods in this area and they are opening 3 more in the next month or two and more after that! Anyway, it is a 18 million dollar store which is huge! They get shipments three times a week and Treven will be unloading the merchandise and taking care of the shipment. Treven also will be taking care of the maintenance of the store, like light bulbs, fixtures, bathrooms and all that!
We also decided that Treven will be finishing as a Psychology major at WSU Vancouver ( in about a year) and go on to Graduate school, hopefully at WSU Vancouver as well. After that, he will pursue a job in the Psychology field while working on his Doctorate. He decided that the stress of trying to get into Medical School, application process, and being in medical was too much for him and our family. He is really interested in becoming a professor at a university in Psychology in the long run or private practice. We will see where this takes us. I really feel great about it! It is less time and less stress on the family. We can have a secure and stable environment for the girls. Treven's undergraduate will take less time because of there being no pre reqs for medical school. All in all, it is the best decision for our family and it is what Treven wants to do.
Girls are really doing great! Melia loves coloring now and is really good at trying to stay in the lines. She is learning her ABC's and LOVES to read. The glasses are definitely a big help! She tells everybody that her birthday is in November and she is going to have a birthday party with balloons. She is also so excited for halloween! She always asks where her costume is and I have to keep telling her that I am making it and it isn't done. melia also LOVES to play hide-and-seek, but doesn't quite get that you don't say "I'm hiding here" when the person is looking for you. McKenzie is growing bigger everyday. She loves playing with her cousin, Noah, who is about the same age. They always chase each other around the house and laugh and point at things. Just some words that she has picked up... bed, mom, dad, what's that, bear, juice, wow.. and I know there are more, can't think of all of them. She loves stealing Melia's glasses right off of her face which we are working on her NOT doing that. She loves to give hugs to Melia A LOT. The girls are starting to play together and I am loving watching the sisterly love and bond between them.
Other than all that, I am loving the Fall with all the trees changing colors and the cold weather. I have been having hot chocolate and wrapping up in blankets a snuggling. Melia and I are going to paint some little pumpkins today when McKenzie is sleeping.
As for me, I am just trying to get as many subbing jobs as I can possibly do. I am thinking about maybe getting my Math or Science credentials for teaching, but I haven't looked into what I would have to do for that yet. I am going to start running again slowly so that I can get ready for a half-marathon that is around Mother's Day. It is an all women's run so it will be a blast with all the family.
I think that is it for now. We got family pictures done and absolutely love them! I will have to post some for those who haven't seen them!

Kim

1 comment:

Eric and Heidi-Evalyn Kowallis said...

Oh I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well! Thanks for blogging so we can keep in touch!